12/15/2016

#TravelJournal: Singapore Part 1


I WILL never get bored of Singapore.

I will never get tired of the majestic streets, filled with fascinating skyscrapers, aesthetic buildings, and fast paced crowds living in the midst of it. I will never get fed up with the diversity, the foreign languages and faces, and lights among them.

Taking a major at architecture really changes the way I see the world. Usually, my eyes only light up at price tags of books at Kinokuniya and clothes at Tempt or H&M, but in this trip, my eyes widen every where-- in the luxurious Changi Airport, and mostly among the sidewalks and every corner of buildings. If in previous trip, I enjoy window shopping from a store to another, now, I savor the simple long walks and get lost in between mega structures in every different form. I feel thrilled every time I decide to wander my eyes higher than usual, the view is breath taking. Turns out, I was missing out a lot. Buildings are beautiful if you look at them from the right angle.

DAY 1
17 November 2016

1. National Library
First stop setelah check in hotel: National Library of Singapore. Located at Victoria St, it serves the image of Modern Architecture: Complex & Sophisticated. The building is huge. Sayang banget gak nyempetin buat masuk. I bet I love it there dan gak mau pulang - pulang.




2. Bugis Junction
The Singaporean version of Malioboro. Bugis Junction adalah satu - satunya tempat yang selalu saya datangi kalau ke Singapura. Disana ada Capital Mall yang punya Cold Storage, Pull & Bear, H&M, Kinokuniya (my fav!), Typo (my second fav!) and other interesting stores, terus ada Bugis shopping center yang jadi pusat oleh - oleh Singapura such as chocolate, key chains, tote bags, phone accessories, t-shirts, you name it! Dan di pinggir jalan ada banyak gerai fast foods halal such as Popeye, Burger King, Long John Silver etc. The prices there relatif lebih affordable dibanding di mal - mal lainnya.




3. Chijmes
Gothic styled-historic-building. Castle in town. Sebagai wujud upaya konservasi bangunan - bangunan bersejarah, bangunan yang dulu berfungsi sebagai biara katolik ini dialih fungsikan menjadi tempat wisata. There are restaurants, shops, and multi functional hall untuk musicals, theatrical performances or wedding receptions. The building is just magical and romantic, especially at night.






No comments: